[LAU] multiJACK patch management: the first glimmerings of success

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Apr 5 20:27:46 UTC 2016

On 04/02/2016 06:33 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> For those who may be interested, I am seeing the first small glimmering
> of what looks like real success, in running multiple JACK servers on one
> box for the purpose of distributing DSP load.  I can now reliably have
> two netjack1 slaves connect to one netjack1 master, the master running
> ALSA to hardware, all within one Linux box under one kernel and one
> filesystem.
>
> The way that this works is "containerization" or "sandboxing", which can
> give an IP to anything ranging from one running binary to a large
> collection.  I started the current effort using Docker containerization,
> but its standard setups require a lot of filesystem recreation, each
> Docker container has an entire working OS filesystem apart from the
> kernel; but during the studies for Docker, I blundered into something
> else called firejail, and firejail appears to be just what the doctor
> ordered, it seems to do just about everything while using the existing
> filesystem, and one can very easily turn off the features one doesn't need.
>
> To cut to the chase, after boot and system prep, first one creates an IP
> bridge:
>
>     sudo brctl addbr br0
>     sudo ifconfig br0 10.99.99.1/24
>
> and then starts JACK in the sandboxes:
>
>     # The master hardware sandbox is named MASTER, the QJackCTL profile
>     is named MASTER,
>     # the JACK server is named MASTER.
>     nohup firejail --name=MASTER --noprofile --net=br0 --ip=10.99.99.10 \
>          /usr/bin/jackd -n MASTER -m -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n2 -Xseq -D
>     -Chw:NVidia -Phw:NVidia \
>          > ~/LOGS/jack-master.log &
>

>     # The SRO hardware sandbox is named SRO, the QJackCTL profile for it
>     is named SRO,
>     # the JACK server is named SRO.
>     nohup firejail --name=SRO --noprofile --net=br0 --ip=10.99.99.15 \
>          /usr/bin/jackd -n SRO -dnetone \
>          > ~/LOGS/jack-sro.log &
>

>     # Ditto for STRINGS.
>     nohup firejail --name=STRINGS --noprofile --net=br0 --ip=10.99.99.20 \
>          /usr/bin/jackd -n STRINGS -dnetone \
>          > ~/LOGS/jack-strings.log &
>
> And then connects the JACK servers, by adding jack_netsource processes
> into the existing MASTER sandbox:
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>
>     # SRO
>     nohup firejail --join=MASTER jack_netsource -s MASTER -H 10.99.99.15
>      > ~/LOGS/netsource-sro.log &
>
>     # STRINGS
>     nohup firejail --join=MASTER jack_netsource -s MASTER -H 10.99.99.20
>      > ~/LOGS/netsource-strings.log &
>
> I have not tested further yet, no clients -- am working on something
> closer to production now -- but this is looking very good, the
> connections are reported successful, zero xruns, and on this prototyping
> box -- 2.6GHz AMD quad, ten-plus years old -- 0.8% DSP in use on all
> three JACK servers and very low memory usage.  This is considerably
> better than I had hoped.

> [...]

Hmmm... I wonder: this is either a fundamental bug in JACK2 that none of
the developers seem to be able to reproduce, a complete misunderstanding
on the part of the original poster, or something completely different
that is not sufficiently understood. In any case, I'd say it would be
useful to come up with at least a working hypothesis of why this should
improve things.

I have never used a graph as complex as Jonathan's, but I don't see how
adding virtual machine and networking overhead could improve throughput
when JACK2 should already parallelize everything that can be
parallelized... Wouldn't the time be better spent to analyze JACK2's
scheduling behaviour and catch bugs if there are any?

When exporting, I have seen something that might be similar to what
Jonathan might be seeing: a freewheeling, 100% CPU-bound process only
seems to use a fraction of the available CPU even on a single core. Now
this might indicate a real problem, or it might indicate that the CPU
load tools I'm using do not accurately report what's going on under
tight real-time conditions with loads of context switches.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net