[LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Apr 12 13:56:08 UTC 2016

> From: "Robin Gareus" <robin at gareus.org>
> Date: 04/12/16 09:12

> It is equivalent to the guy who listens to the music turning the volume
> dial on the amp. It does not affect the mix at all.

> If you export too soft, s/he will have to turn up the amp.

Although the whole idea is to load commercial songs, by genre, to compare with.  That adjustment would be done by hand, as part of 'mastering', as well as any other final adjustments.  The resulting CD (or individual pieces along the way) being played in various places and again compared to same genre commercial products.

> One positive side effect of normalization is that you get the best
> signal/noise ratio for the exported target (usually 16bit). If the
> loudest peak is at 0dBFS the whole [16bit] range is available for
> dynamic range.  If the digital peak is at -6dBFS you get one less bit
> dynamic range (with integer encoding).

So far I tend to see it as part of the craft of doing the final adjustments, be them about loudness, compression, EQ, etc..
It might be part of learning.