[LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 12 14:55:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:39:05 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>Another of his arguments is the accumulation of rounding error in
>fixed-wordlength systems, which is very valid.

Unlikely it often affects the recording in an audible way.

However, I wouldn't care that much about normalization as the OP does,
with or without, the loudest peak of all tracks should be relatively
close to 0 dBFS, but it doesn't matter if it's a few x.0 dBFS below 0.
Dithering is a much more delicate subject ;).