[LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Apr 13 02:39:12 UTC 2016

On Tue, April 12, 2016 3:58 am, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Now if only broadcasters and streamers could agree
> on a single reference level for music ...

Not sure if you saw this reference I posted previously:

The AES has published a recommendation for streaming normalization which
could, if adopted, help reduce the desire to make recordings seem louder
by extreme compression (the recommendation would result in such recordings
having gain reduced while streaming).
http://www.aes.org/technical/documents/AESTD1004_1_15_10.pdf

EBU in Europe and ATSC in the United States have published recommendations
for digital television broadcast.  I find that HDTV broadcasts in the
states are pretty good, at least on the Dolby Digital stream.  The two
channel down mix stream is hit or miss, often the two channel mix is
anywhere from 3dB to 6dB louder. TC put together a list of references to
some of the relevant standards:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/broadcast-standards/

--
Chris Caudle