[LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Apr 13 03:11:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, April 12, 2016 9:09 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> the ONLY downside of normalization is when it is done naively in ways that
> lead to inter-sample clipping during D-A conversion.

That is true in a mathematical sense, but I do not believe it is
necessarily true in a social or convenience sense.  It is very convenient
to put in a movie and be able to put the volume control to a convenient
setting even before the movie audio starts, just because movie soundtracks
tend to be more consistent than CD's.  Or to be able to watch two
different television shows back to back without having to jump for the
volume control because one is annoyingly louder than the other.
I would appreciate music being delivered based on the R128 approach like
video sound tracks so that a fairly narrow gain range would work for
everything.

--
Chris Caudle