[LAU] Fluidsynth: map each channel to individual jack audio output

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Tue Apr 26 12:52:12 UTC 2016

Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> writes:

> 2. Record drums from a drum soundfont independently to their own track
> in the DAW (Ardour). In that case I would be sequencing each drum on
> its own (MIDI) channel.

I'm often wanting to do something like this also.  I often want to send
each drum out my interface to a physical mixer, to process each drum
separately in different channels on the mixer, and then bring them back
to re-record on new tracks.

I had hoped that maybe drumkv1 would get the ability to send to separate
Jack outputs at some point, but it looks like for now, the only
convenient way to do something like this is to use Hydrogen's multiple
output feature, and use the patchbay in QJackCtl to setup an automatic
mapping of Hydrogen outputs to audio interface outputs (so you don't
need to set this up yourself each time).  This ends up basically
marrying you to Hydrogen for this sort of thing, but like you, I haven't
found a way to expediently send individual drums from a soundfont to
different outputs, and drumkv1 won't do that either, so there may not
really be another way.  You may have to just use Hydrogen whenever you
want individual drum tracks.

--
		+	"With the rise of social networking