[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Mark D. McCurry mark.d.mccurry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:35:09 UTC 2016

On 04-29, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Usability and decoration are two different domains.
> I expect decoration for a sofa and usability for a tool.
You're conflating design and excessive decoration.
You need to have a way of visually understanding something presented to
you.
This UI is not a fashion statement, it looks good as a sign that it
provides a relatively consistent visual language.

> One question of the poll is, if a user is willing to pay for it.
> Users are willing to pay a lot for new editions of old analog synth,
> users are willing to pay less for very powerful virtual synth.
> I recommend to take a look at the iStore.
Irrelevant.
The app stores are very different marketplaces and comparing to that
arena gives little to no information.

> I doubt that even many Linux
> users are still using ZynAddSubFX, I suspect most users replaced it
> with Yoshimi.
Ralf,

I don't know why you feel obligated to spread FUD, but please don't.
This is just noise which is not substantiated by the available data.
Look at the downloads statistics available for each project and the
distribution of systems involved.
You're statement is simply wrong.
I won't be discussing this OT note further.

> I guess less people are willing to pay for a new
> ZynAddSubFX GUI, but more likely people are willing to pay for fresh
> presets.
I honestly don't understand why you're making this false
statement/conclusion.
In the past there have been ~2-3 who have brought up the topic of paid
presets to me while multiple orders of magnitude more have brought up the
issues with the current UI and the need for drastic change.

This is not reflected in the data either which is being collected in the
survey which is the *whole point* of this thread to begin with.

--Mark