[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Apr 29 17:37:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:37:25 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> From Apple's "Optimizing Audio Unit User Experience in Logic Studio"
>>
>> "For even better user interface integration, custom Audio Unit Views should
>> refrain from using overlay windows and from opening sheets or auxiliary
>> windows other than for file browsing. All user interface elements should be
>> presented inside the root Audio Unit View by laying out its content
>> dynamically and resizing as necessary. The host window listens to size
>> change notifications and will adapt automatically."
>
> I don't use any Apple, nor any Microsoft kit, so don't feel obliged to adhere
> to their diktats. Indeed I *specifically* want to get away from other people
> telling me what I should do; how I should 'experience' the computer.

Ok.

> Since the days of the Acorn Archimedes, everything I use has had independent
> windows that can be placed where *I* want them, and instantly rolled up to just
> the title bar. From what I've observed I can work much faster than people using
> single panel programs with any degree of complexity. In particular, with most

>From reading this, I would suggest you missed the point of the above
comment. There is a very big difference between standalone applications
and plugins. The point above was addressed only to plugin use and nothing
else. For a plugin to work it _must_ be compatable with the host otherwise
it is broken. There is already problems with plugins that use different
versions of the same lib as the host. (there are other things that keep a
plugin from working too... and they not all the plugin's fault)

Really, I would think a standalone application would be best for designing
sounds and maybe even the best thing for people who like real time
tweaking, using the application in a mix chain in a DAW. For those people
there are inserts.

However, I suspect most plugin users are most interested in being able to
select predefined patches (presets or custom) and only minimally
interested in tweaking the odd settings. So for plugin use, one window
wins. No one wants to use a plugin that crashes the host or behaves oddly
in some way, they just want to work with a stable system. So for plugins,
there are rules, the dev need not follow those rules, but their plugin may
not see much use if they decide not to.

For standalone use, dockable windows are great... after all, the same DAW
that might not deal with plugins with more than one window, allows
undocking windows/tabs... and for that matter does show the plugin's GUI
as a separate window (some DAWs do not) even though the plugin is limited
to one window.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net