[LAU] [OT] listening to the quiet machine

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Aug 4 14:16:08 UTC 2016

If the budget is not a huge constraint, for more recent machines look
for cases that have plenty of grills, particularly on top (since heat
rises you don't want to trap it with a solid top cover), get a Ninja
series cooler and a fanless GPU. On the Virginia Tech DISIS machines we
have entire machine with respectable specs (recent i7, Zotac fanless
Nvidia GT 750, fanless PSU, SSD, 16GB RAM) and a single fan on the Ninja
cooler running at 600rpm being effectively silent unless you put your
ear next to the back of the case. If you choose to go with a spinning HD
you will find that HD noise will be incredibly bothersome because it
will be the only thing you hear.

Below is the itemization of the most recent items for a performance
(~$1,250) vs. economy options (~$1K) based on June prices. GPU will be
by far the hardest thing to find because it is not in production
anymore. I suspect you could forgo the GPU and just rely on the
integrated Intel chip which is actually pretty respectable.

PERFORMANCE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133212 Computer
case    $79.99     1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559 CPU