[LAU] Crackles in audio - how to troubleshoot ? Tim's TEST RESULTS:

termtech termtech at rogers.com
Fri Aug 26 15:45:46 UTC 2016

On Friday, August 26, 2016 8:27:39 AM EDT Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:19:17 -0400, termtech wrote:
> >This is in BOTH Linux and Windows 7.
> >So, today I brought the card to my dealer and we tried it on another
> >i5 PC, having a much better Asus MB.
> >
> >Result: Perfect behaviour.
>
> Was HT enabled or disabled on both PCs?
>
> https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_sh
> ow/hyper-threading-and-asio-guard.html

On this Acer PC there's no HT setting, but a few others like
 SpeedStep, force XD bit, and some Intel VM setting.
I turned all of it off and on, and several other settings,
 no change whatsoever in the digital noise, although
 turning off SpeedStep helped with some of the pops and clicks,
 as it usually does in most cases.

On the store's PC, not sure I didn't check but HT is likely on,
 because it is a default setup store PC with no special needs.

This Acer PC has shared video memory (ugh), so I tried a
 separate video card, no luck.

T.