[LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Aug 27 03:08:54 UTC 2016

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:51:25 -0400, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 22:50:27 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> Why isn't it happening all the times, if the capacitors are dried
>>> out?
>> There would be a transition time I think.
>
> This could be possible.
>
> If they are dried out, then capacitance got lost. If the the oxide
> coating is broken, they short.
>
> What is a capacitor used for, that could cause delayed trouble, if it's
> broken, instead of causing the trouble all the times?
>
> IIUC you hear the crackling only, if there is an audio signal, there's
> no crackling, without an audio signal.

This page indicates that the power supply caps.... well the whole power
supply, is less than adequate already. Loosing capacitance will affect the
sound at higher sound levels and not so much low levels or xero levels.
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/elec/interface.html
look at the 6th paragraph. I am not suggesting going to the lengths seen
here as it is obvious much more money was already spent just buying 3 of
the delta1010s and other equipment than you wish to spend.

I do remember (from my TV days in the early 80s) watching the monitor CRTs
get a growing moving "blob" that started as a small bump at the top right
of the screen and over a few months would grow to a blob that covered the
top portion of the screen. It was always moving... this was fixed in all
cases by replacing the PS cap. These were electrolytic caps they do wear
out sort of gracefully.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net