[LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

termtech termtech at rogers.com
Sat Aug 27 15:10:12 UTC 2016

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 12:28:39 PM EDT Adam Sampson wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
> >> Looks more and more like replacing the caps on the 1010LT
> >
> > Is there any rational reason for replacing caps? What caps do you want
> > to replace for what reason?
>
> On my 1010LT, one of the filter caps was visibly leaking:
> http://offog.org/notes/delta-1010lt-repair/
>
> That's a pretty rational reason for replacing them!

Ha! Nice one!

Thank you kindly for the very relevant post!

Good choice for replacements. Panasonic.
Personally, I trust them /first/ above all others.

Yes, big or small, caps just dry up, and in this rather severe case
 leaked for this poster.

Believe it or not the smaller ones fail (dry up) just as often,
 if not more than, the larger ones. Being smaller they are
 more sensitive to change. You can't tell just by looking.

I first advised jonestu his caps may be bad, then advised against it
 since mine seemed OK. But /wow/ now that I see /that/ picture...
I guess jonestu might feel more motivated to try now, eh? He he...

I was a camcorder tech. In the late 80's early 90's most camcorders
 were plastered with many surface mount electrolytics.
In particular the Sony CCD-F series had many. They /all/ went bad.
When I first started dealing with them, I tried only to fix the ones
 that were causing problems. But the search kept leading
 to more and more... they were all bad, every one of them.
So eventually I offered our clients a service:
Replace /every/ capacitor (some had a hundred of them!) -
 a complete recapping - for about $300 - $400.
You should have seen the board damage from leaking.
Very ugly, messy, time consuming double-sided corroded
 copper track and through-hole repair!

T.