[LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

Sat Aug 27 19:56:18 UTC 2016

On 08/27/2016 12:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:

>>> This could be possible.
>>>
>>> If they are dried out, then capacitance got lost. If the the oxide
>>> coating is broken, they short.
>>>
>>> What is a capacitor used for, that could cause delayed trouble, if
>>> it's broken, instead of causing the trouble all the times?
>>>
>>> IIUC you hear the crackling only, if there is an audio signal,
>>> there's no crackling, without an audio signal.
>>
>> This page indicates that the power supply caps.... well the whole
>> power supply, is less than adequate already.
>
> Again guessing. This card is not an amplifier that requires a big
> reliable power supply, neither it's comparable to a CRT, that has got a
> high power consumption.
>
> I do not own this card,

Hi Ralf,

We do own several of these cards but don't use them anymore. The 1010
card was the first magically affordable 8 channel solution for our
needs. There was even a smaller box that could intercept the digital
signals and provided digital multichannel connections. We still have
them around lying in plastic bins (some were recycled). Such a shame.

For old timers in this list the power supply issue on the 1010 is well
known. The voltage doubler (or quadrupler?, I forget) capacitors in the
power supply blow up after a while due to bad design. The 5V rail is
still there but the analog voltages go down or disappear, so the card
still "works" but all audio is gone or badly distorted. Replacing the
capacitors fixes everything (visual inspection can easily reveal if that
is the problem).

-- Fernando