[LAU] Replacement for a 1010LT

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Aug 27 22:06:05 UTC 2016

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 06:11:22 +0200
William Light <wrl at illest.net> wrote:

> I run the tubes in high-voltage mode all the time and generally crank
> the gain up until whatever I'm recording is just saturating. Even
> then, the VU meters are so slow that I barely notice them unless I'm
> doing a lot of really steady tones. For something like acoustic
> guitar, the meters not moving sounds just about right.

Just tried it with the acoustic bass guitar. The sound is very nice,
and with only using one AT2050 in cardiod mode at that.  I will try the
mid/side thing eventually.

Still wonder what the purpose of the VU meters is.  The owner's manual
mentions:

"Use the analog meter to view the operating level by depressing the
switch under the center of the analog meter."

But there's no such switch.

Replacing the tubes is not a priority for now although thanks for
mentioning it, will try it later.

> Can always turn the gain up. ;)

The colours that can be extracted from instruments is amazing.

Cheers.