[LAU] [Music] Planctus Novus

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 13:49:11 UTC 2016

Greetings,

On 08/30/2016 06:58 AM, David Santamauro wrote:
> On 08/30/2016 06:46 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>
>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/planctus-novus
>>
>> A lamenting song, without words, in homage to a Troubadour poetic form
>> known as a planh (Latin: planctus).
>>
>> Once again, nothing special going on here, just an original melody and
>> harmonization (hopefully enjoyable), something to keep me busy.
>>
>> Downloads enabled, comments welcome.
>
> Very nice ... but a few quick observations:
>   - cantus is lost (muddied) during harmonization(s)
>   - pedal point in second harmonization didn't always "work", although
> that is my objective perspective
>   - coda was contemplative and enjoyable.

Thanks for the comments, David, they are appreciated. I agree with your
first point, the melody is obscured too much by the harmony, I'll
balance it out better and post an improved version asap. OTOH, I like
the pedal as it is, at least I haven't got tired of it yet. :)

> I thoroughly enjoyed the harmonizations: wonderful fusion of period
> and modern styles.

I work on my harmony chops constantly. I was born and raised on rock &
roll, never considered any complex harmony until I started listening to
jazz and classical music. My ears have improved over time, but I'm still
working on my aural recognition/prediction skills.

> thanks for sharing.

My pleasure, many thanks for the critique.

Best,

dp