[LAU] [SOLVED] Crackles in audio, drifting intermittent noise etc.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Dec 1 01:01:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, David Jones wrote:

>> > Don't know what CPU you have, but sounds like SMT (hyperthreading isn't
>> > working well for you?
>>
>> His 4 core i5 doesn't have ht... (according to the intel web site)
>
> My i7 doesn't have the problem, either. Makes me wonder if OP's i5 chip
> or one of the supporting chips on the motherboard has a defect?

Or an engineering mistake, low latency and PCI performance is not exactly
top priority in todays computer world.

I have an i5 (4 core no ht) and a D66, which is the same ice1712 to the
PCI bus as the OP. No problems. I have an azus MB which I chose for
maximum number of PCI slots (3) so I had as much choice of slot as I could
get. I chose minimum on board bells and whistles because those are just
more to get in the way of my audio. Intel video (on chip) and even ps2
mouse and keyboard. (I have an old mechanical KB that has a switch for "at
or xt" to show how old it is). While I don't use a USB Audio Interface, I
don't like USB mice if I can avoid them... I have found USB interrupts
troublesome in the past. The only USB device I have is a scanner which is
turned off when not used, plus the odd USB mem stick and a second keyboard
I use with midikb as a controller sometimes for testing. Audio is not plug
and play really on a PC (win or linux) if you want low latency it needs
exrta work. Linux at least gives one the tools to do that.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net