[LAU] RME HDSP 9652 priority issue

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 3 16:05:45 UTC 2016

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Michael Jarosch wrote:

>> Len wrote:
>> "If you think it is a problem with systemd, try
>> sudo /etc/init.d/rtirq restart"
>
> Works:
> :/home/mitsch# /etc/init.d/rtirq status
>
>   PID CLS RTPRIO  NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
>   321 FF      90   - 130  0.0 S    irq/19-snd_hda_
>   149 FF      85   - 125  0.0 S    irq/17-ehci_hcd
>   171 FF      85   - 125  0.0 S    irq/16-ohci_hcd

... If you are not using USB for audio, I would suggest removing usb from
your driver list in rtirq. Right now your mouse has a higher priority than
you audio card.

>   336 FF      50   -  90  2.7 S    irq/21-snd_hdsp

Hm did you try running sudo /etc/init.d/rtirq restart some time after
loggin in? Just because /etc/init.d/rtirq status shows snd_hdsp after
login does not mean it was there at the time init ran during startup,
priority of 50 is just the system default when the module does finally
load.

You may wish to temporarily edit /etc/init.d/rtirq right down at the
bottom of the file you will find start) and status). As you can see,
status is really just a fancy ps command piped through egrep and awk.
rather than copy paste the whole thing up to just under start) a simpler line
for this:
ps xa |grep snd
should work just as well. (I don't know if the xa is needed in this case,
it is needed when running as a non-root user)

If you find irq/21-snd_hdsp is not there in the logs, maybe put
sleep 20 in in there.

So add these three lines:
start)
 	ps xa | grep snd
 	sleep 20
 	ps xa | grep snd
(the "start)" is already there)
And look at the logging from start up for those lines lines. You should
see snd_hdsp twice, but if you only see it once from the second ps then it
is a timing issue and you can reduce the number 20 (20 seconds is a long
delay in your boot :)  till snd_hdsp no longer shows up at all at boot and
then add seconds till it does. Once you know the length of time required,
you can remove the ps lines and just keep the sleep. ( a sleep 1 may even
be enough)

Perhaps a WAIT_FOR="snd_whatever" or PREDELAY="<time>" could be added to
the rtirq config for things like this. (yes this could be done with a
systemd config too)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net