[LAU] "Skewed" Audio with JACK

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Dec 5 16:37:21 UTC 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, David Santamauro wrote:

> On 12/04/2016 12:06 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> Pulse is pretty much guarenteed to loose samples here and there.
>
> Please define "loose samples here and there" ... thanks

Pulse doesn't tell you about xruns. It makes whatever it has as an input
fit what the output needs by whatever method needed with the least amount
of audible distortion. Just like most people can not tell the difference
between an MP3 and the wav it came from, most people can not tell the
difference from pulse's input to it's output. But in the same way you
wouldn't use MP3 as a DAW tracking standard, I wouldn't use pulse for
recording unless there was no other way. (skype phone call for example)

It is another way of saying it handles just
about anything gracefully.... even skype. But it is a desktop audio system
that is designed for audio consumption, not audio creation. It does really
well at what it is designed for and even not too bad at what it is not
designed for.

I run pulse on my desktop as a front end for jack. Pulse sees jack as the
(only) audio device. I try not to record anything so badly I need to use
the noise remover in Audacity.... the Audacity noise removal plugin being
the only feature I can't find elsewhere.

letting Pulse directly see/connect to any real audio device will
compromise the pulse-jack bridge and cause xruns.

I hope I have made clear I am not against pulse. It works very well in the
place it was designed for. I still prefer a boxend wrench over an
adjustable wrench when I work on a truck too.... but will use vicegrips in
an emergency. Every tool has it's place.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net