[LAU] [SOLVED] "Skewed" Audio with JACK

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Dec 7 16:26:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, David Klann wrote:

> On 12/03/2016 01:50 PM, termtech wrote:

> In reading the "Crackles in audio..." thread, I am curious to know why
> this happens with some CPUs and not with others. My understanding is

Even with the same cpu/audio driver and I think both with jack2. I don't
have the problem. I do have only one RAM socket filled with 8G rather than
the suggested two 4G RAM so the cpu can access ram faster (I don't know
the right words). Anyway, I have the lowest priced ASUS MB that has 3 PCI
slots, ps2 mouse and keyboard plugs... nothing else matters :)  Well
actually, having too many bells and whisles on the MB may matter, but I
haven't tried that.

Another thing to try if you already run in performance mode, do you have
"Boost" turned off in bios? In performance mode with Boost enabled, the
cpu speed may still change between the highest normal cpu speed up to the
highest boost speed. Changes in CPU speed has been known to cause audio
irregularities. That is I can run with the cpu a solid 800MHz with less
trouble at lower latency than with ondemand (atom single core cpu was
tested most though I did do some testing on an old P4 as well and
performance mode does still make a difference with the i5 though I have
not tested how much) Ondemand can run anywhere from 800Mhz to top speed.

I have just learned how to control boost from the cli and will do some
testing with it on and off to see how much difference it makes for me.

Be careful when you see the words good low latency performance from
computer people. Low latency for most computer engineers seems to mean
less than 30ms. 30ms is pretty much useless for live effects (guitarix) or
live softsynth use.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net