[LAU] Recording in 96K on Linux / Raspberry Pi with Sound Devices USBPre2 Interface

Hans Wilmers hanswil at notam02.no
Fri Dec 9 22:24:37 UTC 2016

On 12/09/2016 09:42 PM, James Greenlee wrote:
> I would suggest you use a GPIO header card like the Cirrus/Woflson card for any serious audio work on the Pi.
>
> I had some Pi's doing real-time audio streaming over the network with the Cirrus cards without issue.  They support 96k, and also have SPDIF I/O if you want to use external converters.  $40 USD I think and snaps onto the top of a Pi.

If the SPDIF interface on the Cirrus card supports 96kHz, this might be
a good way to interface the USBPre2 to a Raspberry Pi at that sample rate.

To do this, the USBPre2 needs to be powered via USB without any other
USB signals. This will make it go into standalone mode, where SPDIF can
be used as an output of the microphone amplifier.

/ Hans