[LAU] Focusrite 18i20 vs Behringer FCA1616/UMC1820 - Was: PreSonus 1818VSL vs Focusrite 18i20

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Dec 12 13:04:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 11:16:58 +0100, Guido Aulisi wrote:
>I own a first generation Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
>
>I can't really understand the need of very low latency when recording,
>because the Scarlett has got an internal mixer, which can monitor the
>input signal nearly at 0 latency. And I think that the Presonus
>doesn't have an internal mixer, or at least it's not controllable from
>a linux machine (the first generation Scarlett mixer is controllable
>since kernel 3.19 thanks to Robin Gareus' reverse ingeneering work of
>the protocol).

the problem is, that I want an audio device with a 30 days money back
guarantee and a three year warranty, not a second hand audio interface.
I couldn't find a first generation Focusrite, I only found the second
generation for sale.

For recording I neither need card hardware, nor software monitoring, I
could do this using my analog mixing console.

>Of course if you use virtual instruments latency is important, but I
>always used the Scarlett as a simple recorder, so I cannot tell if it
>works, I usually use a PCIe RME card when using virtual instruments
>and it works well even with vanilla kernels and threadirqs, I get some
>xruns when I use some heavy cpu virtual instrument sometimes.

You seem to have better luck than I've got. My PCIe RME card doesn't
work correctly with Linux, so I want to replace it by an USB audio
interface, apart from this the USB interface must work with iOS, too.

A few minutes ago I ordered a PreSonus 1818VSL.

Which RME PCIe card do you use? Mine is a HDSPe AIO.

Regards,
Ralf