[LAU] RME Multiface with cardbus interface & cardbus-ExpressCard adapter

Jacob jacob01 at gmx.net
Fri Dec 16 08:47:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 16.12.2016 08:51, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> It is also possible to use a PCMCIA to express card adapter and use the
> old PCMCIA card in the new slot (cheaper). I have done that and it works

I'm using a Digiface + Digital Audio CardBus interface (rev 0e) with
such an adapter using the standard Linux drivers. It is labelled
"ExpressCard/34 CardBus into ExpressCard" on the front and "Conrad
Electronic model: EK-108" on the back. lspci reports "PCI bridge: Texas
Instruments XIO2000(A)/XIO2200A PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)" with
numeric ids (lspci -n) "0604: 104c:8231 (rev 03)".

I have also used that adapter successfully with a desktop PC by using a
another cheap PCI-E to ExpressCard adapter (this combination is even
uglier from a mechanical point of view). Note that I had less luck with
using a single PCI-E to CardBus/PCMCIA adapter in that case (the RME
interface wasn't recognized).

But the results may vary with other mainboards, adapters, and kernels.

> - it is very ugly and dangerous as the adapter is big and hangs from the
> side of the laptop.

Yes, indeed.

HTH,

Jacob