[LAU] Jack Audio Appliance?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Dec 18 20:03:58 UTC 2016

Hello James,

On 12/16/2016 10:01 PM, Schatzman, James wrote:
> Is there a Jack Audio Appliance commercially available?

As far as I know the MOD Duo is the only one that exists but it's more
of an effects processor than an AD converter. It also has only two
inputs and doesn't do 24-bit at 192KHz.

> If not, I would like to build one. Here are my requirements
>
> 1) Accepts 4 or more input audio streams at Xonar 7 rates (24-bit channels at 192KHz).
>
> 2) Makes the audio streams available to Jack clients on the network.
>
> 3) Is compact and reliable.
>
> What would be a reasonable compact platform to host such a device (processor speed/cores, memory, etc.)?

You don't need much for this because it looks like you don't want to
process the input streams, you probably just want to do AD conversion. A
Raspberry Pi with a decent USB audio interface with at least four inputs
would suffice I think.

> Also, is it feasible to jack up the data rates even higher - say to several megasamples per second?

Which data rates? You mean of the input audio streams? That's not
limited by Jack but by the audio interface that does the AD conversion.

Best,

Jeremy