[LAU] PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 25 15:17:41 UTC 2016

Hi Len,

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 06:46:13 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Dec 2016, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Assuming that you are usng the external power supply already, a
>powered USB hub should work provided no other USB devices are plugged
>in to it.

yes, the 1818's external power supply is used, when I try to connect to
the iPad.

>You may find another USB audio interface that does work without that,
>but with fewer i/o or worse noise problems. As the 1818vsl manual says
>the unit can not be bus powered, The only reason I can see for drawing
>so much bus power is for digital/audio separation which is a good
>thing.

I don't care about the analog I/Os of the presonus that much. They could
be useful, but what I want are ADAT I/Os. I want to be able to connect
iPad virtual synth by ADAT (and MIDI), when using a Linux DAW.

Perhaps this also could be done by USB without an audio interface at
all, but ADAT I/Os allow to connect with any other kind of gear, from
my ADA8000 to something much better than the ADA8000, just in case I
should need analog I/Os.

Apart from this, indeed, it doesn't harm to have a Linux compatible USB
audio interface, with 8 analog I/Os, so if possible, I want to stay with
the PreSonus. I'm even thinking of buying a second one, because of my
RME's ADAT issues.

I'll try to get a powered USB hub ASAP. Unfortunately you can't buy one
in Germany during Christmas and I'm sure only one of my friends does
know what a powered USB hub is, owns one and would be willing to borrow
me one, however, usually we use our free time during Christmas, so I
dislike to bother him and will wait until after Christmas, to buy one.

Unfortunately this issue rains on my holidays parade :D.

Regards,
Ralf