[LAU] Allen&Heath Ice-16

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Dec 26 15:19:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, Georg Krause wrote:

> i am considering to buy a Ice-16, maybe an Ice-16D. The reason i want
> this is that you can use it as multi track recorder or as soundcard. But
> i can only use it as soundcard if its working with linux, but i cannot
> find anything with google.

The sync connector is a mini 8 pin din? (as used in DJ equipment) It syncs
not only audio clock but also transport control. The manual refers to the
DJ syncing equipment as a source for cables, but does not say if it uses
the same standard, nor any pinout info. They do not seem to expect anyone
to use more than two synced together. I do not know if this is a hard
limit (adding a third unit just won't work) or daisy chaining to more than
two just doesn't give good syncing. I suspect that the sync out comes from
internal clock and is not clock through. So at best it is sync in -> local
clock ppl -> clock out. The manual does not say if the transport can be
controlled buy the connected computer, but does say that streaming to USB
stick turns off the stream to USB connected computer.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net