[LAU] Bluetooth Latency

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Dec 28 10:44:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:45:59AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:06:30 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> >Bose
>
> German audio engineers make jokes about Bose equipment's sound quality.

Not only German ones.

For some years I've been on the listening panel hired by the UK
Consumers Association to judge Hifi speakers. These were 'blind'
listening tests, we didn't know which speakers were one test.
Except for the Bose ones - every time, for years on end, these
resulted in the entire panel dropping its professional conduct
and ending up ROTFL. Of course the CA got some angry reactions
by Bose, but since the tests were blind they had little to argue
with.

> Sure, for the home studio we usually can't spend much money, but since
> Bob ogles with "some expensive Bose headphones", he might wants to
> consider to look for something else.

IMHO using cheap wireless headphones for recording is a sure
recipe for shooting yourself in the foot. Even the cheap wired
ones are mostly crap today (they used to be better before
smartphones made everyone wanting to use them).

Some weeks ago at work we tested some cheap wired over-ear
headphones (prices in the 30 to 80 euro range) from the usual
suspects (AKG, JBL, Bose, ...). We wanted to find out if we
could include some standard EQ in the smartphone audio chain
in order to improve the 'listening experience'. They all
turned out to be horrible in their own specific way, each
one requiring its own quite heavy EQ to make them sound
more or less right.

Conclusion: if you want to headphones for serious audio
work then spend some money on them.

Ciao,

--
FA