[LAU] Bluetooth Latency

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Dec 28 12:05:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:44:59 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:45:59AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:06:30 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> > >Bose
> >
> > German audio engineers make jokes about Bose equipment's sound quality.
>
> Not only German ones.
>
> For some years I've been on the listening panel hired by the UK
> Consumers Association to judge Hifi speakers. These were 'blind'
> listening tests, we didn't know which speakers were one test.
> Except for the Bose ones - every time, for years on end, these
> resulted in the entire panel dropping its professional conduct
> and ending up ROTFL. Of course the CA got some angry reactions
> by Bose, but since the tests were blind they had little to argue
> with.
>
> > Sure, for the home studio we usually can't spend much money, but since
> > Bob ogles with "some expensive Bose headphones", he might wants to
> > consider to look for something else.
>
> IMHO using cheap wireless headphones for recording is a sure
> recipe for shooting yourself in the foot. Even the cheap wired
> ones are mostly crap today (they used to be better before
> smartphones made everyone wanting to use them).
>
> Some weeks ago at work we tested some cheap wired over-ear
> headphones (prices in the 30 to 80 euro range) from the usual
> suspects (AKG, JBL, Bose, ...). We wanted to find out if we
> could include some standard EQ in the smartphone audio chain
> in order to improve the 'listening experience'. They all
> turned out to be horrible in their own specific way, each
> one requiring its own quite heavy EQ to make them sound
> more or less right.
>
> Conclusion: if you want to headphones for serious audio
> work then spend some money on them.
>
> Ciao,

Some months ago I upgraded from AKG to Sennheiser wired phones - talk about
night and day! Also I can now get a fairly good match when switching between
phones and speakers... Apart from the fact the phones don't suffer from
room modes at low frequencies :)

Oh, and they are far more comfortable to wear for long sessions.

Unless you're prancing about on stage and *specifically* need the mobility I
can't see any point in going wireless.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk