[LAU] USB cable with ferrite core

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Dec 30 11:01:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 07:12:34AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Using a common-mode choke works only for differential signals.

True, but any signal that has both the forward and return path
in the cable is differential (even if not truly balanced). That
remains true even if the return path is the screen instead of
signal ground.

> But USB also uses common-mode signalling for certain states.

If you mean signalling that depends on a ground path outside
the cable I doubt very much this is true.

Ciao,

--
FA