[LAU] USB cable with ferrite core

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Sat Dec 31 06:10:16 UTC 2016

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 07:12:34AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Using a common-mode choke works only for differential signals.
>
>True, but any signal that has both the forward and return path
>in the cable is differential (even if not truly balanced). That
>remains true even if the return path is the screen instead of
>signal ground.
>
>> But USB also uses common-mode signalling for certain states.
>
>If you mean signalling that depends on a ground path outside
>the cable I doubt very much this is true.

USB does not use currents but voltage levels for signalling.
The two data lines (D+ and D-) have controlled impedances and drive
levels so that the effective currents are symmetrical, but when both
lines are pulled low to signal EOP, there is not necessarily an equivalent
return current over the ground line.
(That depends on whether the device has an independent power supply.)

Regards,
Clemens