[LAU] PianoTeq and Linux

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 11:13:59 UTC 2016

I just wanted to mention that the software sound module / tone generator
PianoTeq--

https://pianoteq.com/

--works very well with Linux. I'm sure others in the LAU list are
already familiar with PianoTeq, but this is the first time I have used a
software tone generator to produce piano sounds in response to playing
my MIDI keyboard (a Yamaha CP5 digital piano), and I have been very
impressed with the results.

PianoTeq can use either ALSA or JACK (much lower latency using JACK in
my experience) and unlike some of the massive "ROMpler" (sampled)
software sound libraries that have been available for years, uses
complex and highly-configurable algorithms to model the sounds of pianos
(including some famous Steinway, Boesendorfer, and other current and
historical pianos), electric pianos, mallet instruments such as vibes
and steel drums, etc.

I ran the MIDI file of one of my pieces (Abstract 1) through PianoTeq
and produced a short YouTube video to demonstrate one of the presets for
PianoTeq's model of a Hamburg Steinway model D piano, here--

https://youtu.be/_WurgSPBxuQ

I'm already planning to upgrade my copy of the economically-priced
PianoTeq Stage to their Standard or Pro edition. An LV2 plugin version
of PianoTeq is bundled with the software, although I haven't tried it
yet. I was just surprised and very pleased that the software, available
for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux works so well in Linux (it does not
require WINE or any special configuration to work). It is distributed as
a very well (and beautifully) designed, highly-configurable and
feature-rich executable application that runs very well (so far, in my
experience) natively within Linux.

Best wishes,
Steve
--