[LAU] Mixing Practice : a resource

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Feb 7 15:01:40 UTC 2016

Since I started, recently, to take a real interest in mixing things, I
immediately saw that there is a good amount of people out there eager
to sell audio mixing tutorial and packages of all sorts.  Some might be
good, some might using the advertisement campaigns to promote
not-so-good contents.  Some do send (very) regularly to your mailbox
dubious promotion of products disguised as information.  Now, some of
these people might actually have solid learning material and are using
a common ad system for lack of better ways.  I do not know.

What I have found, though, are the resources for Mike Senior's book
Mixing Secrets.  There is a large number of session files that can be
loaded in Ardour (and other DAWs since they are simply wav files).  For
beginners such as me, to intermediate to advanced, covering a wide
array of musical styles, from sessions consisting of a single track to
full-blown sessions of 60+ tracks.

There are so many styles represented that one will find a few tracks
closer to his/her own liking.  Even then, for general mixing practice,
the ground covered is very generous.

Moreover, there are discussion groups for many of those tracks where
people upload their mixes and talk about them.  And new tracks are
being added from time to time.

There is no need to buy anything at all.  I would recommend the book
though, even if its 'Secrets' catching title might be too tacky, it is
a book whose goal is to establish a good understanding.  There is a lot
of substance, not only tricks or 'secrets'.

I hope I'm not sounding like an advertisement (must say that I read a
fair share lately ! :) This is a great place for anyone interested in
trying out some mixing practice, throwing your plugins at it (mixing
god forbid !), etc.

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

Cheers.