[LAU] soundcloud social environment

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Thu Feb 11 23:57:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:14:59 -0500
David Santamauro <david.santamauro at gmail.com> wrote:

> All well and good, but I can tell you first hand that when I was
> actually making money creating arrangements and orchestrations, there
> was absolutely no time nor money to develop and maintain (or pay
> someone to maintain) my own web site -- multitasking is the biggest
> fallacy of the modern era, you excel at something or are mediocre at
> many things ... jack of all trades, master of none.

It is, IMHO, more complex than this.  The very first obvious parameter
here are the inherent capabilities of a person in software
development/design and implementation.  I do not mean necessarily to
make a web site from scratch.  What I mean is practical experience in
software already predisposes someone favourably when comes the time to
put a web site together using existing components.

The other notion would be what is becoming master at something and
why ?  Is it to be 'competitive on the market' ?  If so, some people
might consider that they do not want to be beside Beyoncé.  And the
market product of Beyoncé is some kind of a mastering at many level.

Some people will never play like Al Di Meola or that other guy that was
in Mahavishnu Orchestra ah, John McLaughlin.  Or Fripp.  Well, Neil
Young does not play like them, quite the contrary in fact.  Being a
master of playing 3 notes in one second for 3 minutes might not be as
good as playing only 20 notes inside 3 minutes.

Good at doing something with creativity and honesty is already very
worthwhile.

So it depends a lot on the person.