[LAU] soundcloud social environment

set public at sakrecoer.com
Fri Feb 12 08:50:29 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-12 00:14, David Santamauro wrote:
> All well and good, but I can tell you first hand that when I was
> actually making money creating arrangements and orchestrations, there
> was absolutely no time nor money to develop and maintain (or pay someone
> to maintain) my own web site -- multitasking is the biggest fallacy of
> the modern era, you excel at something or are mediocre at many things
> ... jack of all trades, master of none.

I agree to a certain extend. In my development, you may have noticed i
am mostly writing about /URL's/ and it is for a reason: there are many
very handy solutions for deploying a website, including free ones. The
means to do so are not so important in my meaning, what i was trying to
underline is the importance to _own_ your /own/ brand. Also i think to
the younger generation, html, css, computer graphic-tools and the
requirements to build a website come very naturally. But i may be biased
by optimism and the talent of the youngsters surrounding me.

On a different note, I have the chance to hang around quite a few
millennials, and its interesting to see what band-landscape the
one-man-and-a-computer situation has generated for them; a band is no
longer a group of musicians. It has shifted towards a constellation of:
one musician, a camera man, an internet geek, a graphics/fashion
designer and a make-up artist. And often, they find a way to all have
something to do on stage during live-shows. And often they interchange
roles for different projects. Basically, each member in the "band" is
bringing a set of skills to push the music out there. And often the
music is just one element of the hole packaging. Good music alone is
oftentimes not alone. This, i think, is partially what generates the
impression that jonetsu describes in OP:

On 2016-02-10 01:37, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> (I have the impression that some attention a file may gather has
> nothing to do with the music).

Indeed, it is also about the packaging, the stance of the "gang" around
it, the visuals, the dressing-codes. But it isn't the sole reason, of
course.

So, basically, i'm not saying the right way is to become the king/queen
of web-publishing, i'm saying, you should own your brand. And find
solutions that fit to this model and suits you, be it collaborative
solutions, or tools that enable you to have a website without being a
programmer.

This makes me want to push for the solution that Urs Fleischer, the
creator of kid3 provided to us, i might have posted it before. This
software is a GUI to tag your audio-files according to the current
standards: http://kid3.sourceforge.net/
it includes a set of exporting tools, that allows you to generate a
static site (static, hence deplloying is drag and drop to your web
folder). Combined with this script that he wrote and i layed-out:
https://github.com/Sakrecoer/kid3HTML5
You basically have a one-click web-publishing tool. And its not the
first nor the last one of these tools that we are going to see, coming
from the freesoftware community. I know Zirafa from
http://www.pushtape.com/ is working on an amazing solution as i type.

Yours,
--
Set Sakrecoer