[LAU] Ardour: use case for monitor plug-in ?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Feb 12 23:03:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 21:46:50 +0100
fred <f.rech at yahoo.fr> a écrit:

> Le 12/02/2016 22:41, jonetsu at teksavvy.com a écrit :

>> temporary eg. people would explicitly know that what they hear is
>> not final (well, it's not since this is not the final mix, but you
>> know what I mean).

> please, go further in your "final mix" point!

As far as I see it, a final mix would be done using a variety of
outputs.  As I am not familiar with room correction (hence the asking)
I am not sure at all that a final mix would be done on a set of
monitors plus room correction.  Fons' reply tend to say that room
correction is something that can be measured and calibrated.

Headphones would be another, and common, output to make a final mix.
Even though at first thought I would believe that headphones would not
need any correction, I remember that some people make a business
selling headphone calibration software for specific headphone brands.

Then ideally the mix would also be run in mono using a single
(calibrated ?) speaker.  And a pair of cheap PC speakers.  Then a CD
would be made, and played in the car.  Actually there is a recording
studio in Montreal that has a car fitted with a car sound system for
their customers to listen to what it sounds like in a car.  Now I do
not know if several brands of cars are used :))  And calibrated at
that ? :)