[LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 13 22:31:49 UTC 2016

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:01:57 -0500, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
>In Ardour 4.6.0 changing the monitoring from Ardour to hardware does
>not improve anything.

That likely depends to the kind of "hardware" monitoring.

I can't speak for direct hardware monitoring of your sound card, some
cards simply don't provide it and I can imagine that there could be a
pitfall, even if the card provides it and/or there is a chain of
digital gear.

Reminds me of modern digital guitar stomp boxes. One stomp box has such
a low latency that it isn't noticable, but not later than using three
stomp boxes in series and the latency becomes intolerable long.

Consider to use an analog (not digital) mixing console with 2 sub groups
and/or an aux that allows monitoring and don't use any chain of digital
gear.

Guitar (Mic) -> |                | -> Monitoring
                | mixing console |
DAW output   -> |                | -> DAW input

This should give "c" monitoring latency.

Regards,
Ralf