[LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 14 08:44:58 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-02-13 at 20:17 -0600, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Daniel Sheeler <dsheeler at pobox.com>
> wrote:
> > What does it mean for a soundcard to provide hardware monitoring?
> > And when you monitor a recording, don't you want to hear a signal
> > coming from the DAW instead of bypassing it or something?  I'm just
> > generally confused about what is meant by HW monitoring :D.
>
> Hardware monitoring is definitely a good thing, especially if you are
> recording from external sources to existing material.  If you have a
> vocal or an instrument being recorded, you want the hardware to send
> the monitor signal back out rather than route into the software and
> then back out, that introduces latency and additional resources on the
> CPU. A good sound interface with zero-latency monitoring usually
> provides some sort of mixing interface for the hardware so you can
> create a monitor mix of the pre-recorded material coming from the DAW
> and the incoming live audio.

Perhaps we should add, that this does not work for virtual synths, or if
the musician is dependent to hear the long-sustain-over-overdrive-delay-
wah-wah-virtual-amp-plug-in during the recording. A hardware monitoring
done by a sound card or by a mixing console allows to hear the already
recorded tracks + the signal of what you want to record directly, so you
can monitor already recorded virtual synth and already recorded guitars
using the long-sustain-over-overdrive-delay-wah-wah-virtual-amp-plug-in,
but you cannot monitor virtual synth and such guitar plugins without
latency during recording them. You only can monitor the clean guitar
signal and external synths without latency while recording them and
after that, when playing hear the guitar + plug-ins and virtual synth.