[LAU] Updated to kernel 4.4.1, missing module snd_ice1712 -> no more envy24 support?

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:58:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp>
wrote:

> Why did you add additional comments to the fixed-released bug? It's not
> within my intension to mention about the bug. I think your behaviour is
> unwelcome to developers. You should have used button of 'This bug affects
> you' or something similar...

I'm not sure what the point of your lecture was/is. But thank you for
initially pointing me to the bug-report where my "inappropriate" comments
got this bug correctly resolved. Furthermore, hopefully this means people
updating to 16.04LTS in the near future will still have use of their Envy24
sound cards.  The end result is that the problem was acknowledged, a new
build was done, and the issue was resolved.

See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/mudita24/+bug/1534647/comments/16
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/mudita24/+bug/1534647/comments/17
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/mudita24/+bug/1534647/comments/18
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/mudita24/+bug/1534647/comments/19

Specifically, I can now confirm working ICE1712 cards, and associated
mudita24(1) application, on
4.4.0-6-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 16 20:32:27 UTC (*).

Working Audio:
card 0: DMX6Fire [TerraTec DMX6Fire], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: M66 [M Audio Delta 66], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Working Midi:
 16:0 TerraTec DMX6Fire MIDI-Front DMX6fire 0
 16:32 TerraTec DMX6Fire Wavetable DMX6fire 0

(*): 4.4.0-6.21 kernel retrieved and manually installed onto Ubuntu
14.04LTS Skylake-based system:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/linux-headers-4.4.0-6/4.4.0-6.21
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/linux-headers-4.4.0-6-generic/4.4.0-6.21
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/linux-image-4.4.0-6-generic/4.4.0-6.21
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/linux-image-extra-4.4.0-6-generic/4.4.0-6.21

Well, if you improve something you use, it's better to follow each rules of
> development.
>
> In your case, at first, you should watch release schedule of Ubuntu 16.04.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule
>
> You can see date of KernelFreeze is Apr. 7th 2016. In my opinion, till
> then, what you're expected is:
>  - Read wiki page about Ubuntu kernel development cycle and understand it
>   - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel
>  - Test with daily build image
>   - http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
>  - When you still find your bug, seek it in launchpad.net
>   - https://launchpad.net/bugs
>  - When you find similar bug, watch it by subscibing or something like it.
>  - When you cannot find similar bugs, register it as new one.
>   - but you should keep more days to investigate duplicated bug
>
> At least, additional comments without enough consideration seems not to be
> helpful to yourself, against your expectation. And you should not test with
> packages in PPA. PPA is just Private Package Archive. The packages in PPA
> do not always go for official release.
>
> Although I said some lectures, I wish this bug will be fixed in Ubuntu
> 16.04 release.

Instead of wishing, I'd rather make things happen and get things fixed.

--Niels.
http://www.nielsmayer.com