[LAU] multitrack export midi type 0 (gramophone2) issue

Benoît Rouits brouits at free.fr
Sat Feb 20 18:15:47 UTC 2016

Le 20/02/2016 18:52, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :
> On 02/20/2016 02:24 PM, Benoît Rouits wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have written generative composition with a chomsky grammar parsed by
>> and *old* program called gramophone2. Unfortunately, my tests
>> composition have multitrack but gramophone2 generates midi type 0 files
>> (1 merged track).
>>
>> So, all midi sequencers i tried does only import track #1 while there
>> are 3 or 4 in the midi file with different speeds (i'm playing with yet
>> another phasing music). It may be a grammophone2 bug, but before to dive
>> into the code (if i find it) how could i convert the generated midi type
>> 0 into a type 1 so that tracks speeds can be aligned ?
>>

> qtractor can load either smf format 0 or 1.
>
> now about tracks with different speeds (tempo?, tpqn/ppqn?) is a
> complete another story: the MIDI file standard just doesn't allow for
> different tracks/channels with different speeds whatsoever. where did
> you get the idea?
>
> byee
>   --
> rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela

Ah ! i didn't think of qtractor ! Thank you rncbc, i will try asap !

Indeed, tempo per channel is missing in the MIDI spec itself.
I wanted to make a score to reproduce phase shifting like in Steve
Reich's Violin Phase (the simplest generative music with 5 notes), but
in a MIDI way. I will post something ogg if i can find a way to do this
with qtractor.
Thanks again,
- Benoît

P.S: i can't figure out why i didn't try qtractor today, i was focused
on commandline midi converters... :-)