[LAU] What exactly is JACK DSP % usage ?

Jonathan Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Tue Feb 23 14:32:33 UTC 2016

On 2/23/2016 8:03 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> Every N msecs, your audio interface wakes up the CPU to tell it to
> read and write X samples of audio data. The CPU (and the OS) in turn
> wakes up JACK to tell it do the same, along with any other processing
> that is part of that.
>
> If it takes JACK N msecs to finish the task, the DSP load is 100%.
> If it takes JACK 0.0000001 msecs to finish the task, the DSP load is
> very close to 0%.
> If it takes JACK N/2 msecs to finish the task, the DSP load is 50%.
>
> Values about 80% appear unstable/unusable on all 3 of Linux, OS X and
> Windows.

So, if one has a lot of things happening, multiple JACK instances could
make more use of available resources?  The thought (in my case) is to
have one JACK connected to the single audio output, and then have two
more feeding in?  I'm not sure how to get MIDI trigger signals to the
other two though...

--
Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!