[LAU] Multiple asynchronous JACK chains resampled?

Jonathan Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Tue Feb 23 16:38:50 UTC 2016

>     What I want to do, is to use the resources I have to run multiple
>     signal generation and processing chains asynchronously, in
>     parallel, and then use the final audio-hardware-synchronized chain
>     to resample them all into one, perhaps using the Zita tools.
>     Anyone know if this is possible?  I saw this flow structure work
>     very well in the video domain, quite a few years ago.
>

> That's not what you want to do at all.
>
> JACK is designed to be a *synchronous* system. All clients process
> audio corresponding to the same period of time, precisely in sync with
> each other. You do not want to "resample them all into one", and
> certainly not with the zita tools.
>
> A "correct" digital audio processing and/or synthesis environment
> consists of a single audio interface (or at least, a single digital
> sample ("word") clock). You can run any number of JACK clients,
> connected in arbitrary ways. But using multiple audio interfaces
> (which is what the zita tools are related to) is not  the right thing
> to do unless you are forced to by lack of funds or inappropriate hardware.

I do understand that JACK is designed to be completely synchronous. But
a good pipelined architecture, can take multiple synchronous processing
chains running independently (asynchronously to each other), and then
merge them at the output end.  What I want to do is the equivalent using
JACK at the synchronous level, so that I take advantage of more of my
computing power.  Eventually I will want to do exactly the same using
four or five RPi-compatibles, with just one of them having the audio
output; but right now I have about 75% of my CPU and 6+ gigabytes of RAM
not being touched, so clearly the testbed is waiting :-).  The video
processing pipeline I saw a while ago used a proprietary bus (it was a
while ago), I am thinking IP is probably the simplest now, over
localhost within this box, and through a good switch whenever I start
work on RPis (which is probably not soon but is worth contemplating).

And to use the Zita tools, I was going to see if there was an
audio-over-IP transport which delivered ALSA ports :-)  I don't quite
remember, it has been about eight months since I looked.  If there is, I
would expect the existing Zita tools would do wonderfully for the
resampling connectors.  If not, I wonder what best to use for
JACK-to-JACK resampling?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!