[LAU] Multiple asynchronous JACK chains resampled?

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Feb 23 21:32:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:14:00 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 01:16:32PM -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
>
> > Even staying silent is not a zero cost operation.
>
> But very close. All the process function has to do is to
> write zeros to the output buffer. That can be done very
> fast. If having to do this is a problem, then actually
> generating some sound would be a much bigger one. Which
> means that things would fail anyway.
>
> It is of course up to the synth to be aware of inactive
> voices and reduce its own processing effort for those.
> Maybe some don't do that.
>
> Ciao,

However one must make the distinction between an inactive voice and a
non-sounding one. In the latter case processes will still be running to check if
there are any notes to deal with, and any in-line effects will be fully
operational - reverb being one of the heavyweights.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk