[LAU] GPIO to alsa

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 28 23:01:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016, Will Godfrey wrote:

> What speed does a standard USB keyboard encoder work at?
> Can it's clock be sped up without upsetting the USBlink?

>From what I can tell from having taken several mice and keyboards apart...
they are really ps2 (seems not USB anyway) inside and the USB plug shell
contains a ps2 serial to USB circuit. This is why the cables from the kb
to the connector are so skinny and not shielded. Also USB limits chording
to 6, but ps2 can have more (if designed that way). In practice 6 key
chording would be ok for most things I do... but I am not a good keyboard
player.

The ps2 wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port
Seems to indicate that USB has higher latency, enough that some gamers
prefer ps2.

I have kept getting MB with ps2 mouse ports because at one time I noticed
that mouse movement seemed to acompany xruns with USB mice... I have
absolutely not tested this on any modern MB and I do not have a USB AI so
my USB interrupts are not prioritized anyway.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net