[LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Sun Jan 3 05:14:04 UTC 2016

> For midi over a network have a look at
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_MIDI
>   https://code.google.com/p/midikit/

> Neither IP nor SLIP gives you any retransmission or guaranteed delivery,
> you need TCP for that. As the article says, OSC uses UDP, which is a
> minimal shim over IP. It just dumps the packet over to the other side
> without any delivery check or retransmissions of lost packages.

OK.  So how do we get retransmission and guaranteed delivery?  Is there
a best approach?  I might be able to set up Zmodem over TCP like we used
to for downloads on terminals: two Zmodems should do great for
guaranteed delivery (one upstream, one down), and Zmodem was known for
smoothness of the stream and connection recoverability.  But I would
really want the two Zmodems-over-TCP to replace the UDP, not encapsulate
it, and Zmodem is such an old protocol that it might be extremely
wasteful on modern wifi.

Along the way tonight I found this:

http://mido.readthedocs.org/en/latest/socket_ports.html

which looks quite intriguing, had never seen that before, seems like
MIDI-over-TCP.  But I want to use high speed as infrastructure to allow
for guaranteed delivery (the original MIDI spec is so extremely slow
that this should be a slam-dunk!), and I haven't found that as a design
feature in any code yet.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977