[LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Sun Jan 3 11:20:59 UTC 2016

On 03.01.2016 10:06, Felix Homann wrote:
> Hanspeter Portner <dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
> <mailto:dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch>> schrieb am So., 3. Jan. 2016 um
> 09:28 Uhr:
>
>     As others have pointed out already, SLIP is merely used as a means of
>     framing packet data (e.g. IP, OSC) on 'unreliable' streams (e.g. serial
>     lines). Some clients (e.g. PureData) even use it for 'reliable' streams
>     (e.g. TCP).
>

> SLIP is mandatory for OSC over TCP in OSC protocol version 1.1. Hence,
> you should use it when using OSC over TCP. IIRC it is optional in liblo.

Indeed, if you are in control of both server and client implementation,
you should very well do that.

I merley wanted to state that there are still different framing schemes
for OSC via streams (e.g. TCP) out there as of today. My wording was a
bit unlucky, I guess.

Let us put it this way:
If you need to talk to some existing OSC TCP server implementation you
are forced to use whatever framing scheme the server expects.

* SuperCollider expects size-prefixed OSC via TCP (OSC-1.0)
* PureData expects SLIP encoded OSC via TCP (OSC-1.1)
* Renoise (3.1) expects SLIP encoded OSC via TCP (OSC-1.1)
* Renoise (<3.1) expects raw OSC via TCP, with no framing at all ;-)