[LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Mon Jan 4 12:51:48 UTC 2016

Am 04.01.2016 um 00:30 schrieb Len Ovens:
> MIDI, unlike audio, must have 100% reliablility to be useful.

Despite all the theorizing about which network protocol works best for
MIDI, the TouchOSC appp for iOS/Android just sends MIDI messages as OSC
via UDP [1] and in practice, this works very well and reliable in my
home wifi network, even with encryption.

I use this without problems to control soft synths loaded into Carla via
my iPad using the the software touchosc2midi [2]. Works very well for
parameter control via control change messages, but the latency is even
low enough to be able to play notes on the tablet, if the timing doesn't
need to be too accurate. I haven't had any dropped messages yet.

I'm planing to give a demonstration of this setup at the next Open
Source Audio Meeting Cologne [3], if anbody wants proof that this works ;)

Chris

[1] It sends MIDI messages as an OSC packet with address pattern /midi
and data type 'm', i.e. 4 bytes, although it gets the order wrong, so
the receiving side has to take that into account. TouchOSC also has
limited support for sysex.

[2] https://github.com/SpotlightKid/touchosc2midi (This is my fork of
https://github.com/velolala/touchosc2midi and has a few important
improvements and fixes.)