[LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

karl at aspodata.se karl at aspodata.se
Mon Jan 4 19:53:52 UTC 2016

Jonathan Brickman:
> On Mon, January 4, 2016 7:00 am, Mac wrote:
> > The point of unlicensed ISM band operation is you get a lot of freedom to
> > play with different protocols, etc. because the power is low enough it
> > only affects your own premises.
> > If you can't control the broadcasting devices on your premises, then you
> > need to change to licensed spectrum devices (like UHF band microphones).
> Tried directional wifi antennas, and/or powerline networking, for
> nonportable needs?  Otherwise, indeed, licensed spectrum sounds to me
> like the option.  I would definitely take the crew comm off 2.4GHz off
> one way or another, there are a lot more options for comm out there, and
> no matter what doing this will help things.

There are two ISM bands [1] you might consider, 450 and 900MHz.
There are things like rf serial port extenders or rf modems that could
possible solve your problem.
 Have a look at:

https://www.elfa.se/search?q=rf+modem
http://se.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pageSize=25&st=rf+modem&catalogId=15001&categoryId=700000005613&langId=46&storeId=10177
http://se.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pageSize=25&st=rf+modem&catalogId=15001&categoryId=700000004271&langId=46&storeId=10177
http://se.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pageSize=25&st=rf+modem&catalogId=15001&categoryId=700000005602&langId=46&storeId=10177

To connect something like you might possible need some baudrate
and electrical converter, i.e. something that recv. midi 31500 baud
and sends at std. rs232 baudrate like 34800 or 115200 and conv.
between midi and rs232 voltages.

Perhaps there are dedicated midi over 900MHz tranceivers, who knows.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Aspö Data