[LAU] The Parting Glass

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Jan 26 12:58:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:42:37 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:54:12PM -0500, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:23:46 +0000
> > Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Over on Soundcloud Mark Bennett has posted an acapella recording
> > > of a traditional Irish ballad, as an open collaboration project.
> > >
> > > I found this song totally captivating so decided to try my hand.
> > > This is what I achieved. I hope you like it.
> > >
> > > http://www.musically.me.uk/music/The_Parting_Glass.ogg
> >
> > Nice.  It would have been perhaps also nice to have a bit more
> > presence on the instruments though :)  If only for a bit more
> > balance between voice and instruments.  The instruments uplifting
> > the voice without any volume adjustments.
>
> As a layman reading this and looking at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presence_(amplification), is that
> achieveable without using an equaliser?

Very good question.

> Although unrelated, I found this:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presence_(sound_recording)

It may or may not be related, although it does have to do with little
details that contributes to support the main expression. Those are also
called Foley sounds.  The use if highly creative.  It can be a sound
of dry leaves being brushed, tailored and mixed with a snare.  It can
be just the sound of 'the air' in the countryside, mixed in.  It would
interesting for this recording, to remove the reverb, add tailored
'countryside air ambiance' sounds (it can be very subtle, no need for
blowing wind !) and only then reintroduce reverb.