[LAU] [Music] For fun 1 and 2

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jul 2 16:22:53 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

> 1) jam19
>
> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam19
>
> Here's a light improv.  Would have been only a recorded chord riff but
> then, why not not add some bass ?  And then piano.  A bit of snare and
> such would be OK.  Just for fun.

Generally I don't critique because I am not the greatest mixdown artist :)
But, concidering you were recording a guitar chord riff, I would wonder at
the guitar being almost lost in the background.

> Recorded using Mixbus 32c.  Recorded without any click track.  Drums
> played on the MS keyboard and recorded to stereo audio track.  The
> cymbals were multed from the stereo audio track from the Microstation to
> another track to add reverb just for them.  The guitar track was
> duplicated and each was panned to a side. Same for the multed
> cymbals. XT-BC for the bass, XT-DC for the drums, Protoverb for most

Perhaps pulling the bass down after adding the XT-BC would have helped,
though to be honest the acousticness of the bass seems to have been lost,
I would have chosen (being a bass player) to highlight the acoustic parts
of the sound. True that would have meant less bottom end and maybe you
felt the track needed that bottom because there was really nothing else to
carry that part (artistic desision).

Note: my monitors while not the greatest quality (the Tannoys upstairs are
nicer) are pretty good on the bottom end (15in woofs) which may be part of
why I can hear the bass really well.

> 2) jam16
>
> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam16
>
> And, another improv for fun. Something like a lazy Saturday shuffle.
>
> This one is in stark audio contrast to the previous, of which the
> instruments will tell:

Yes, the levels are much better here, probably because you have chosen
sounds that already sound as you like rather than modifying them after.

Your compositions are always interesting to listen to. I have found that I
do better mixing in Live situations... maybe because I can't listen to
them afterwards :) than anything I mix at home... I listen a week later
and am not happy. Still I should practice more maybe :)

Thank you for sharing.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net