[LAU] LinnStrument on Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 17 16:11:09 UTC 2016

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:58:56 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:33:44 +0200, Thomas Poulsen wrote:
>>I recently bought a LinnStrument from Roger Linn Design:
>>http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html
>
>http://www.thomann.de/gb/roger_linn_design_linnstrument.htm
>
>Wow, for that much money you would get an iPad with much better
>abilities regarding this kind of playing an instrument.
>
>However, regarding touch screen to MIDI, MIDI remains MIDI, so there
>should be no issues with Linux.
>
>>Zynaddsubfx:
>>I can not get MPE to work.
>>Sending only on one channel, and setting PWheelB.Rng to 2400 cents, I
>>cant get the sliding to work, but only when playing with one finger.
>>If I enable MPE on the LinnStrument there is only an occasional
>>sound, when it happens to send on the channel, that Zyn is listening
>>on.
>
>IIUC this MPE feature does use a new MIDI channel for each note, so if
>it works for one MIDI channel, then it must work for more than one MIDI
>channels, too. Resp. there's one issue with MIDI, a real slide can not
>work from one MIDI channel to another. For some special features
>provided by touch screens MIDI can not be used, that's why I mentioned
>the iPAD, were special features are provided for some synth, but you
>can't send them by MIDI. I only wonder why it works for Synthv1, OTOH I
>wonder why note off events are missing. I guess you should use a MIDI
>monitor and report us, what MIDI data exactly is sent during such a
>polyphonic multi-MIDI-channel slide.
>
>I'm unable to imagine how this works.

PS:

For polyphonic slides faked by pitch bend there's one issue, the
management of wich channel provides for what note the slide to another
note on the same channel, or on another channel, let alone that not all
synth behave in the same way regarding pitch bend data. This workaround
of a real slide, where attack time, LFO sync and those things are no
issue by nature, is asking for trouble. Even if the management should
work as wanted, it easily could cause a data overflow, because MIDI
simply is to slow for this amount of data, by one MIDI cable. I'm using
MIDI since it was released to public and I always used separate MIDI
interfaces, cable, for each channel with high amounts of data.