[LAU] LinnStrument on Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 19 09:59:35 UTC 2016

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 22:33:50 +0200, Thomas Poulsen wrote:
>An important factor for me in deciding to buy the LinnStrument was
>that the entire firmware is free software:
>https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linnstrument-firmware
>- that does not hold for an Ipad as far as I know.

The iPad does use iOS and comes with lot of issues, that's true and
apart from battery issues, audio real-time has some limits regarding
memory and even while some sync abilities are very good, sync
sometimes is unusable. However, the cost-benefit ratio is amazing for
music usage. AFAIK all good music software for the iPad is closed
source, but often it's not expensive.

AFAIK there's no Linux based tablet PC usable for real-time audio, I
guess it's possible to use Linux tower PCs and Laptops with touch
screens, so just the music software for touch screens seems to be
missing.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people like Linn products, it's just my
point of view, that Linn always had an IMO bad cost-benefit ratio and
the products often are trendy, but after a while not much wanted
anymore.

Good to hear that you get LinnStrument working with Zyn.

Regards,
Ralf